A Village in Need

A group of mismatched adventurers are conscripted into the defense forces of a Mossian village.
Berry!

Re: A Village in Need

Post by Berry! »

The Lieutenant strode through the square with a small handful of men accompanying him. In general, their mail armor and weapons seemed rather plain and almost common but meticulously cared for and spotless. The small clutch of soldiers crossed the square and entered the mayor's office without ceremony. From across the deserted streets, the door closed with a scrape and a creak.

Random pairs of soldiers could be seen making their way through the town, exploring and poking and knocking on an occasional doorway asking questions. Plain but spotless chainmail shirts with dark leather leggings seemed to be the common uniform with either a sword or spear carried on their person.

Shortly, the Lieutenant emerged from the Mayor's office and let his gaze settle of the gathering across the square. His dark blue sash, his only identifying mark of rank, fluttered gently as he and him men crossed the way to meet the band of vagrants. He sniffed and began. "I have been informed that you three have been 'hired' by our esteemed mayor to assist in this town's defense during these trying times. I am a representative of the lands of Iubo and, in an act of goodwill, am here to insure the safety of these people. You will report to Sergent Scherat and he will coordinate your activities. Sergent!" The man next to the Lieutenant stepped forward and nodded. The sergeant looked over the three and turned to the fourth, "Merchant, don't you have more pressing business to tend to? Unless, of course, you'd prefer to be conscripted with the mercenaries."

The Lieutenant briskly turned leaving the Sergent and three soldiers with the mercenaries while he himself went to see to other matters.

Soul of Innuendo

Post by Soul of Innuendo »

"That won't do much, since they are already on the move," Rashid replied looking behind him as the lieutenant he saw earlier, and some soldiers were moving about through the town.

Rashid thought about what he had said, these soldiers and these mercenaries are suppose to work together but why is it that they hold such hostility towards each other.. Maybe I should just watch from a far for now, I'll find the others first. Damn why do things have to be so awkward? he thought to himself.

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

"And so we are assigned to this man. So far I find nothing wrong with him. But I'm sure I'll find a grand flaw in him later," she said as if speaking a monologue. "How about you leave the guy alone pal. His men are armed, probably better armed than those guys you call soldiers." Terelyn looked worthless to the soldiers. Unarmed, no armor, not even decent clothing. But for some strange reason, she seemed tough. Very tough.
I'm OCD for EKD!

Carianna Mareleth (Cian's Quest) - Profile - Gallery
Grennith (New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Itoya* (New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Jeren Octavian Aldener (Search for Nat) - Profile - Gallery
Jleslie "Rose" Seif (A New Balance) - Profile - Gallery
Orion* (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Rone Kalmaine (Vampire Hunt) - Profile - Gallery
Desmond "Rory" D'Angelline (Adventures in Lodoss) - Profile - Gallery
Terelyn "Crimson Corsair" Tai'var (Building an Empire at Sea) - Profile - Gallery
Veriss Trelem (Liberation of Ales) - Profile - Gallery
Yrsanne* (Hunt for Kiran) - Profile - Gallery
Zylanthian Baratoice (Lost Humanity) - Profile - Gallery

Soul of Innuendo

Rashid's eyes widened to Terelyn's words. Is she trying to make me pick a fight in front of him, while his men surround the square?! It's time that I leave, Rashid thought again.

"That I do, have other things to attend to," with that Rashid had put away his half-spear and bowed slightly to everyone, and began to walk away, before Zaole had questioned the lieutenant. Right, since these guys came to us, Rashid thought that it would be best to watch the situation and gather info., around the town first, and find the others... then he'll decide which side he'll be on, if there is any sides to this conflict.

Zaole
Z's Account

Post by Zaole »

Zaole felt uneasy around these men. What right did an army of strangers have in a tiny village? Perhaps it was some of the customs of these Mossians, a part of the governing. She knew very little about it. The word that caught her attention however, was when the sergeant turned to the merchant Rashid and said; "Merchant, don't you have more pressing business to tend to? Unless, of course, you'd prefer to be conscripted with the mercenaries."

"Conscripted?" Zaole's bowstring creaked as she drew it back. She held it pointed toward the earth, but she was ready to release that poisoned bolt toward anyone who threatened her or the village. "Who are you conscripting, wet-lander?"

Berry!

Post by Berry! »

The Sergent stared at Zaole with cold eyes and spoke sharply, "You will relax your bow immediately, mercenary. You are either here to join us in protecting this village or you can leave. I will not tolerate radicals endangering innocents. If you are not willing to work towards the common good and the preservation of order, you are not welcome here."

"I have heard there is a clan of goblins nearby. You are invited to assist us in eradicating them and freeing the people here from that oppressive threat. Your tithe has been agreed upon already, I understand, between you and the honorable mayor. You will receive your payment through him. Do you have any information to share with me regarding these creatures?"

Soul of Innuendo

Rashid had overheard the Lieutenants words, he was loud enough to hear before Rashid had left sight. Goblins, he thought to himself, and continued to walk off.

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

"Shouldn't we be asking you that, pal?" she asked with a sharp bite to her words. "Our job is to save your sorry hides, not gather intel. You tell us what's going on, not the other way around." She couldn't believe how mindless these men were. She wanted to hurt them just for continuing to be alive!
I'm OCD for EKD!

Terelyn "Crimson Corsair" Tai'var (Building an Empire at Sea) - Profile - Gallery

nmnmrm

Post by nmnmrm »

Smolgar thought the same as Terelyn, "You tell us where they are and we will take care! ...or maybe we can go and find them, and then eliminate those goblins!". The goblins were not going to be alive tomorrow if Terelyn and Smolgar found where they were.

Zaole
Z's Account

Post by Zaole »

Zaole matched the sergeant's glare coldness for hardness. "I will do as a wish, wet lander," Zaole replied with a smirk crossing her lips. She was looking forward to a fight, but Terelyn had the idea of asking questions first. Zaole would wait before she put a poisoned bolt through the man's chest. Her lips twisted into a cruel grin as she stared down the sergeant.

"Yes, do tell us what YOU are doing here," Zaole added to Terelyn's remarks.

Soul of Innuendo

Rashid had left the square and headed on a road leading north, off the town square. He passed a number of soldiers on patrol, and walked past them with only unfriendly looks. Rashid looked up ahead, a sign perhaps a tavern. He knocked once and entered. The lights were off, it was a bit dark, although the light from outside shone through the window. There was a bartender at the end of the room, standing behind a counter. Rashid walked closer, and noticed him polishing a mug, he wasn't the only one there, a couple of soldiers had come in for an early drink.

"If it's a room you want everything is rented out to the soldiers." The bartender said as he put away the glass.

"Oh, I see, have you seen some people about, they have dark skin, and wear similar clothes as I?" Rashid questioned the bartender.

"Nope.", The bartender replied hastily.

Rashid then walked off, and before he had left through the tavern door one of the soldiers replied.

"Don't be wandering around, it's dangerous..." He seemed to be quite drunk.

The other soldier just laughed in a daze of drunkenness. Idiots, Rashid just thought to himself. Rashid continued north to find a stable, not to far off from the edge of the town, but still with in the town. He poked inside, there he found, his five men, the donkeys, and cargo. "Ah, all is well, I suppose? What have you got?" Rashid asked one of his men.

"It appears the town is under attack by goblins, it seems that the mercenaries you met earlier really were hired to protect the village."

"So their word is true, what of the soldiers?" Rashid continued.

"We don't know who they are or where they came from, but it seems strange that such a large group was dispatched to a small village."

"True, they did mention that they were representatives of the lands of Iubo, It doesn't strike a spark in my mind but they also mentioned conscription." Rashid began to sit on a pile of hay.

"Is it possible that they plan to take over the town?" one of the men replied.

"Whatever it is, it's something for sure." Rashid replied.

Just then one of the horses across the stables began to snort and jerk, it caused the attention of some soldiers walking by, Rashid and the others hid behind one the stalls, hoping not to make a noise. The two soldiers had walked in seeming like they were resting, they began to talk to one another.

Berry!

Post by Berry! »

The sergeant held his composure in the face of the verbal onslaught. Sgt. Scherat rubbed his brow in irritation, "As the Lieutenant already explained, we are a goodwill infantry unit sent on behalf of his Lordship Okharam of Iubo to assist in securing these lands against the recent threats. If you haven't noticed," the sergeant was quickly loosing patience with these self-serving and self-obsessed mercenaries, "the dead are rising, people are suffering and the social order is collapsing into chaos. If you are too concerned with preserving your own fragile images of heroism, move along or keep out of our way."

Mid way through the sergeant's tirade, the dwarf piped up, "You tell us where they are and we will take care! ...or maybe we can go and find them, and then eliminate those goblins!" The officer looked to the dwarf with a grateful smile, "I am honored that a representative of the underland kingdoms is willing to join us in our efforts. Perhaps your sensibilities will rub off on your compatriots."

nmnmrm

Post by nmnmrm »

"Well, we came for the money, so I guess we should work, I don't mind helping you or this town, I would do it for free if I wasn't poor, anything that involves fighting" he replied to the men, Smolgar liked fighting, but Terelyn and him had always been poor since they started traveling, so doing the jobs for money was the only option for them.

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

"Perhaps you will learn when to shut your mouth," Terelyn replied. She knew immediately she could beat this man. There was no way a simple officer could stand up to her magic. And if he tried anything, he would be on the ground, no matter who tried to stop her. No one pushed her around. Especially men. Terelyn gazed at him sharply. She hated pompous officers. Always thinking they were in control. Terelyn could make sure he permanently lost that control.
I'm OCD for EKD!

Zaole
Z's Account

Post by Zaole »

Zaole leaned forward slightly, peering into the sergeant's eyes. "Tell me then," she queried. "Why were we hired if you were already defending them? Obviously, your aid was not requested. We were hired to protect this village and I am certain the three of us can handle goblins. We do not need an army."

Zaole didn't trust these men, their purpose was unknown and their presence wasn't requested. "You are not being honest," Zaole said with a smirk turning her lips. Her fingers were itching on her bow string which was still pulled back as far as possible. "Why are you here and why were you ordered to have us 'conscripted'?"

Return to “Moss: A Village in Need”