A Village in Need

A group of mismatched adventurers are conscripted into the defense forces of a Mossian village.
Zaole
Z's Account

Re: A Village in Need

Post by Zaole »

Zaole was on her feet almost instantly with her arrow knocked. A zip torn the air and a nearby Goblin feel with a resounding thud. Zaole faded in and out of the shadows, thanks to her dark skin and clothes. Her arrows came out of the shadows and hit their marks on the goblins. Those which didn't receive a killing shot dropped to the ground, writhing in intense pain. One who had been shot in chest had managed to avoid further attacks, but he suddenly doubled over and started retching.

Whatever was happening to Terelyn, Zaole didn't give a second thought. If she were curious, she would inquire about it later, now all that mattered was getting the job done.

nmnmrm

Post by nmnmrm »

One goblin hit Smolgar from one side, but it couldn't damage him much, Smolgar tried to hit it with his axe and said "You damn bastard". The goblin dashed his attack and hid in the darkest place, Smolgar moved to the shadows and made an extremely strong hit on them, and then the goblin screamed loudly, "I'm a dwarf, darkness won't change anything" he said to the apparently dead goblin. After that he moved back to where the others were.

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

Terelyn raised her hands to the sky and began to weave her magic in the sky. She transfered quite a bit of magic to the clouds as she raised into them. Calmly, she became a full lightning elemental. She entered the nearby clouds and summoned lightning to bear from it. She then heaved it at any enemy in sight, striking them down. "Die...die...DIE!" her thunderous voice called from the sky, lurching her bolts of lightning into the hapless creatures.
I'm OCD for EKD!

Carianna Mareleth (Cian's Quest) - Profile - Gallery
Grennith (New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Itoya* (New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Jeren Octavian Aldener (Search for Nat) - Profile - Gallery
Jleslie "Rose" Seif (A New Balance) - Profile - Gallery
Orion* (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Rone Kalmaine (Vampire Hunt) - Profile - Gallery
Desmond "Rory" D'Angelline (Adventures in Lodoss) - Profile - Gallery
Terelyn "Crimson Corsair" Tai'var (Building an Empire at Sea) - Profile - Gallery
Veriss Trelem (Liberation of Ales) - Profile - Gallery
Yrsanne* (Hunt for Kiran) - Profile - Gallery
Zylanthian Baratoice (Lost Humanity) - Profile - Gallery

Zaole
Z's Account

Post by Zaole »

Zaole yanked her spear free from the gut of one of the goblins, then glanced across the square, finding it had fallen still. The sound of battle was dying down out in the woods and fields. An occasional shriek as a man or goblin was killed, the distant ringing of steel on steel. Zaole checked around the square for any more goblins to enter, and saw none for the moment. She stalked with a fast, deadly grace through the fallen and yanked her arrows free of bodies.

Just as she moved on after snatching another of her arrows, a bolt zipped through where she had just passed. Deftly nocking one of her retrieved arrows, she swung the bow up toward the direct of the arrow and let loss a small and power packed bolt which earned a pained shriek and a thud.

Zaole had another arrow already knocked and glanced around the perimeter. No more. The sounds were dying down fast.

Though short with few enemies, Zaole admitted that the fight had been very testing. The goblins were an average enough threat, but Terelyn's bolts of lightening had proved it to be a great challenge to avoid. It was unlikely Terelyn could tell Zaole from the goblins when she moved so fast.

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

Terelyn let the last of her targets fall down to the ground in burning cinders, her task complete. She fell from the sky, the clouds returning to a white fluff and her body returning to a human form. Lightning energy left her skin and her shade faded back to a distinguishable form. She landed lightly atop the center statue of the small town, the only decoration for the defenseless land. She slipped and slid her way to the ground and sat against the side of the statue.

"Calling true lightning is something else all together..." she muttered to herself.
I'm OCD for EKD!

Terelyn "Crimson Corsair" Tai'var (Building an Empire at Sea) - Profile - Gallery

Zaole
Z's Account

Post by Zaole »

Zaole had picked up all of her arrows she could find, and now was making sure none were broken and none of the tips were blunted. She appeared idle about it, but her senses were still active. Terelyn's light faded and Zaole's eyes could hardly see her sink to the ground in the darkness. She let her eyes adjust, then stalked over to where her comrade had fallen.

She tucked her arrows into her quiver, then crouched in front of Terelyn. "Are you well?" she asked softly.

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

"Fine...just a little...drained..." she said between breaths. Her hair seemed more ragged than usual and she looked exhausted. That was the first time she truly controlled a storm. It took a lot more out of her than she had expected. The storm was already fading away. She would have to work on that. It was effective. That it was. But it could have killed her. "We won?"
I'm OCD for EKD!

Zaole
Z's Account

Post by Zaole »

Zaole was satisfied with Terelyn's response, then softly smiled. "Perhaps later I will ask you about how you did that, but for now, I cannot say if we have won," she explained. After a moment of listening, she added, "I can't hear the sounds of fighting any longer."

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

"We either drove them back or they hide now or regroup. Where are the others," she asked, brushing her knotted hair from her face.
I'm OCD for EKD!

Berry!

Post by Berry! »

The soldiers filed in, some of them bloody, a few wounded, most tired. The battle was over. There was a small pile at the foot of an officer that would be added to. Hands. Goblin hands. Only the right. One or two markedly larger hands were added to the pile. ogre or troll or something equally unpleasant that the goblins had in their ranks. The tally was made and fifteen goblins had entered the village center while the fields were confronted with twenty seven members of the invading forces making a total of forty two members of the invading forces. Of those twenty seven in the fields, sixteen were dispatched by arrows and the remaining dispatched via direct melee combat. Fourteen of the opposing forces possessed two or more weapons of the one or more of the following types...

The battle report droned on to those assembled. Predicted strategies, percentages and compositions were rattled off and tallied into a general assessment of efficiency. Then there was the matter of the spell caster...

Later that evening and into the next day, Smolgar could hear subdued whispers and veiled suspicions regarding how a representative of an otherwise sensible race could ever find himself caught up with such things. Terelyn, however, bore the brunt of it. She was openly shunned and turned away. Scarcely hushed insults could be heard when her back was turned but whatever mouth voiced it vanished when she turned to confront the source. Zaole, in contrast, found the time difficult to pass without receiving accolades and invitations. She was welcomed as a hero of the battle.

The day after the battle, The Honorable Mayor himself approached the mercenaries with the gravest of matters. Zaole was welcome to remain as a defensive steward of the village and its people. However, the separate contract held for Smolgar and Terelyn was immediately revoked. "We are only looking for peace and security. This is no place for your meddling with proper natural events. You have until nightfall to leave the town limits. And let it be known to all of your kind: Magic is not welcome Here!" He shuffled off, grumbling.

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

Terelyn wasn't afraid of a pompous fool who didn't know what an advantage it was to have magic as potent as hers on his side. She walked right after him,l grabbed his shoulder and yanked him right around. She stared at him in the eye, infuriated. "If it wasn't for me, goblins would have been in the town center fine. And this is the thanks I get? For being your most powerful fighter, you kick me out. For what? And if I switched sides? Then what? I would destroy this place! I would do what I did before. But you, the grand old fool, think you can be everything with your pathetic swords and half witted brains. I hope I do find someone who wants this village gone. I would gladly take the money to do it because of you. You have here and now to revoke it. If you don't I'll leave. But what goes around comes around. I can promise you that," she finished, not letting his eyes go for a second. No mayor wouldn't feel fear from her. Most warriors wouldn't help it when she got like this after seeing the displays she could put on.
I'm OCD for EKD!

Berry!

Post by Berry! »

Virgil, the Lieutenant who had been witness to the fearful magic, took up the challenge of protecting the village. He would not let a mage harm the villagers or the mayor. He motioned for several archers to follow him and approached the mayor and the mage cautiously. "You were asked politely to leave peacefully. If you do not, we may be forced to use force to preserve the lives of the villagers."

At this several archers that had gathered raised their bows and aimed at Terelyn.

nmnmrm

Post by nmnmrm »

Smolgar also angry because of what they were told saw Terelyn following the mayor, then being aimed by several men. I would throw my axe on the mayor's back, but I will leave Terelyn to decide this, he thought.

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

"You think your pathetic bows and toys can beat me? And if I became the air, how are your arrows supposed to hit me? They are made to whiz straight through air," she said with a grin. "I suggest you stay out of this and let your leader speak for you, lieutenants. Or you may find yourself and your men six feet underground. I am having a discussion, and I will continue it. If you want to stop me, try. I will set fire to this whole building, or shake it to the ground. Or perhaps throw it into the sky," she said angrily.
I'm OCD for EKD!

Berry!

Post by Berry! »

Virgil stood calmly, not withdrawing. He would not abandon these people to a homicidal mage. His men, on the other hand, were looking around nervously. "Hold fast. We will not leave, but they will."

He then motioned outside. "Kill us if you will. Gloat that you can turn into air. But do you think you can outrun an army? You cannot remain air forever, and the moment you turn back, an army will be there waiting for you. If you wish to die, turn this place to ash. If you wish to live, you will leave peacefully."

He held up his hand and the bowmen pulled back on the bow strings. "The choice is yours. Kill innocent people, or leave."

Return to “Moss: A Village in Need”