Midau: Clay, Sweat, and Tears (Archive repost)

Discuss your characters, take surveys for your characters, and other fun things.
Mana Link

Midau: Clay, Sweat, and Tears (Archive repost)

Post by Mana Link »

Hi, Rory again...whoa Deja vu...coulda sworn I JUST TYPED THIS OUT BUT HIT THE F*ING REFRESH BUTTON AND CANCELLED IT ALL....Sorry, that was the last of that rant. Sigh, to continue...

Tonight I have the time (as I do every night because I have no life and no girlfriend...) to do another character study, as my novel's deadline is both flexible and far from coming. So I procrastinate...As with every character study there are an element of questions to ask and tell. Such questions I was almost finished telling before I had to pull the idiotic thing and touch the damn reset button...but that's another matter which I said I wouldn't get into...

Most questions asked of a character is where they came from, what inspired their creation, what makes them different, how they came to acquire their unique perspective...and so on and so forth. So let's start at the beginning, things seem clearer if they start there.

The Beginning: Midau's creation...

Ok, so I asked Jess if I could have a second character, since I seem to (and have) a lot of time on my hands. She said sure, and I asked what available races there were. She suggested a dark elf. Naturally I grimaced. It's not like I have an aversion to dark elves, nor elves of any nature. So I sighed, said sure and the process moved on. I didn't have a thought how to start him off so I started naming off names to give me a title to work with. Some of the names were a little silly (Fearless Joe Toothless, Mana Drownde [which inadvertently, is actually a character of mine...sniff sniff...Jess didn't like the name], you get the point). Finally I belted out Midau, and she accepted. The fun began from there.

So now I had the name to work with. Imagination started searching for a reason to make Midau come alive...

Midau's Creation: Why is it important?

Midau was based off of a Midau I made previously...a fearless 10 year old boy who tried to take the entire world by storm and his 20 years of campaigning. Yes, I make epic characters...hehe...I try....so anyways, Midau was 10 when he started his quest, to be the best swordsman in the land, and for that reason went about from area to area killing monsters and making peasants happy. All was good in Midau's life and he found his calling. Through out his twenty years of adventuring, my little human boy pushed the limits of the human condition and made himself into a hero. Finally he called it quits and becomes a farmer, lives the simpler life. Like the new Midau, the old has his determination and ideals to hope for, to constantly push the boundaries of acceptance until all is good in the world. Unlike the original Midau, the new one isn't a loner that digs holes in the ground to sleep in. I never said my characters don't have issues.

Shaping The Clay with Pain.

I started on Midau's item lists first. I made him have a wedding band and a flute. The band to signify that he was willing to commit and had previously, and the flute to show that he has other aspirations other than fighting. I already had the idea of binding his magical abilities (mostly because I figure why bother with magic when you can just bite, scratch and claw your way out of a fight), but the problem lied with the fact of how it was done. That was helped along by the first wife as well as the idea of having his abilities to commune with spirits severed.

Midau was a creature fated to misery, from being born a dark elf, to the loss of his first wife tragically, and the burial of his second wife before setting out. It is well known that elves will always outlive most of their mortal lovers. Midau has accepted what he is and accepted that the bloodshed must stop.

Pain is a good way to shape any character. I read once in a book of tips for aspiring authors that the main character/protagonist/hero has to go through trials of pain to grow, but not to take everything away from him or he'll not want to get close to anything. Midau is the same way. I made him go through pain to shape his mind differently, much like pain was part of Alm's past, Midau had a longer time to deal with it, not the piddling twenty years or so.

This is why some characters are strong, and some face the future with uncertainty. It's a matter of conditioning. Midau punished himself for losing his first love, but came to grips with the idea of mortality when he buried his second wife. He's not afraid to move through the world as he is.

Since my computer likes to make me cry, I'm going to post this now and I'll post more about him at a later date.
100% dyed in the cloth Otaku

Air Telany (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Alm (Kidnapped Princess/New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Almelchaya Al Elazuur (Lost Humanity) - Profile - Gallery
Elainne Zal Bessur (Lost Humanity) - Profile - Gallery
Geo El Orin (Liberation of Ales) - Profile - Gallery
J. "Jet" Alastair Silverstein (Kidnapped Princess/New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Krhea Fal (Bastion's Demons) - Profile - Gallery
Laies Il Luminous (Vampire Hunt) - Profile - Gallery
Malak "Crimson Shrike" Erstwiel (Building an Empire at Sea) - Profile - Gallery
Mica Lorelai (Hunt for Kiran) - Profile - Gallery
Midau (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Wilhelm "Minstral" Mard (The Golden Egg) - Profile - Gallery
Xian (Cian's Quest) - Profile - Gallery

Mana Link

Re: Midau: Clay, Sweat, and Tears (Archive repost)

Post by Mana Link »

To continue with what I was stating earlier, Midau is a creation of mine that was based (very very loosely) off of another character of the same name. Thus I had to make some of the same quirks transfer on, an "inheritance" from his predecessor. These quirks, (while not as prominent in the new Midau) are essentially the same.

Midau: Old and the New

Old Midau started his training early, as did new Midau, just the training was a little different. Midau 1 was trained as a swordsman and started off on his quest at the young age of ten, as was stated earlier. His parents, both mother and father, were never really mentioned in the storyline he came from because he never really talked about them. It was assumed that they died because he never spoke a word about them to any of his traveling companions, and he was so young to hit the road. Secondly, Midau 1 was a loner, feeling better travelling, fighting and being alone. This caused some problems with some people, but Midau didn't really care because he lived through his sword.

Midau 2 is different. While he started off the same, Midau 2 never really was alone. He grew up with other children and with his parents watching over him. He preferred to be alone only because it was easier to study his craft. Midau 2, on the other hand, left his home rather late (so far) in his life. He left at 200 to go and search out his goals and try to accomplish them.

The inheritance

Midau 1 was determined to fight the most terrible things. He sought fights with at least one of every creature in the world just to know where in the world he ranked. He fought with guards, mages, monsters and dragons all for the sake of testing his limits and raising them. Midau pushed his limits every day, and at the end of all of it, he found out that corruption was the bigger enemy than any monster he had faced thus far.

Midau 2 was determined to contract all of the King spirits. He sought council of the High Elves just to find out where they were, but in the end found love, then, later, found pain as he floundered in his task to control Efreet. Midau 2 inherited Midau's courage and stubbornness, though also inherited his ego and sense that he could do no wrong. Thus when Midau 2 caused the death of his own love, it shattered his confidence and made him feel hollow.

Midau 1 had many opportunities to settle down. Each time he refused, his quest unending until he had fought all there was to fight and there was nothing left. He went through sword after sword, monster after monster until his goals had finished, though it caused him to break the world in half just to separate the evil from the good. Midau was someone who always bounced back, and though he was always rather dour, there were simple things that made him smile, and that was what he looked forward to in the end, knowing that he did right by the world.

Midau 2 has settled down. The loss of his first wife struck him so deeply that he wished for death but knew that it would be too kind a punishment for someone who caused his own love's death. It took eleven years for him to get over the tragedy and move on. He married a widow, a human woman, as it was said in his history, and enjoyed life with her, regardless of the bumps in the road. In the end, like Midau, it was the simpler things that brought a smile to his face: the laughter of his children, the time he spent with his wife, even just watching the leaves turn colors in the fall. He had changed from the crass youth and became more of a humanitarian.

Originally, both Midau's were alike, both arrogant, never-do-wrong personalities that figured they were invincible, but differing events cause even like people to change. Midau 2 had suffered loss where Midau 1 never did. Midau 2 gained insight and the will to live again through Cassandra (his 2nd wife), while Midau 1 never had anyone. They became two differing people, as things go, the new Midau has replaced the hardened warrior of the old Midau, and though his race is genuinely unliked, Midau 2 has never dealt with racism, so he isn't ready for the consequences of just walking into a human town. He spent 48 years with humans, there was no animosity there, at least, not openly. He grew up in Raiden, he knew most of their fathers, and grandfathers and great grand fathers. He was accepted because of his long history there and because he was a kind and gentle soul. It will break his heart when he finds out how other dark elves act.

Although Midau is very lyrical, I'm afraid I lack that quality. Very few have heard me sing much, as I'm usually quite dour myself, and don't like to show my musical side. His flute, an instrument I must admit I love the sound of, is a way of me putting forth the best that I see in music forth. With the flute it can be soft and rhythmic or harsh and gutral, then switch like the music itself was a creature pacing back and forth. And, though my little dark elf can sing, he's not gonna...he reserves his songs for his children and grandchildren, of which (he's had time to) probably has many. It's them that he tries to bring his ideal world about, at least, in small portions. He's not too much of an idealist that he realizes that not everything can be fixed with a soft tone and gentle words.

Well, that's it, I guess. Feel free to comment on it if you'd like. I'm always open to criticism, but only if it's constructive. Tearing someone down because you don't value their ideals is just another form of discrimination.
100% dyed in the cloth Otaku

Air Telany (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Alm (Kidnapped Princess/New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Almelchaya Al Elazuur (Lost Humanity) - Profile - Gallery
Elainne Zal Bessur (Lost Humanity) - Profile - Gallery
Geo El Orin (Liberation of Ales) - Profile - Gallery
J. "Jet" Alastair Silverstein (Kidnapped Princess/New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Krhea Fal (Bastion's Demons) - Profile - Gallery
Laies Il Luminous (Vampire Hunt) - Profile - Gallery
Malak "Crimson Shrike" Erstwiel (Building an Empire at Sea) - Profile - Gallery
Mica Lorelai (Hunt for Kiran) - Profile - Gallery
Midau (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Wilhelm "Minstral" Mard (The Golden Egg) - Profile - Gallery
Xian (Cian's Quest) - Profile - Gallery

Return to “Character Discussion”