A new day... [Closed]

Open-ended and freestyle RPs with little moderation. Knock yourselves out. All new RPs will be taking place on this board!
Talon

A new day... [Closed]

Post by Talon »

A brace of rabbits slowly spun on a wooden spit over an open cooking fire outside the hut of mud and reed, as the ingredients of a vegetable stew were carefully being tended only feet away from the fire. The centaur knew one had to use every part of whatever one caught during a hunt, and only if the burrows were exploding in rabbits as he had learned earlier in life one should only take what one needs. For some reason, he could only stomach rabbits or other small animals or the occasional pheasant. The vegetables used in the stew were provided by the forest, though one had to have a keen eye to find them. Aegir had never been able to face another centaur after being bitten during his encounter with a werewolf only a few years prior, but the lack of company didn’t bother him. There were the occasional elves and maybe one of his old friends would drop by to deliver something or have a few words, but it wasn’t anything more than that. His entire life had centered around the village and the tribe, but after the werewolf encounter that had changed. He was no longer welcome in the village, and even the elves managed to keep their distance. There had been a few times when his ears, a sign of the centaur’s elvish beginnings, overheard the sound of human children and the frequent wagons passing outside the boundaries of the Glassy Woods not far from his hut. One of the reasons for his distance from the village might have been from his curiosity of the world beyond the boundaries of the forest, and in particular humans. The centaurs had largely stayed out of the humans wars of the past, but each centaur knew the insatiable hunger of humanity when it came to humans encroaching to close too the trees of the Glassy Woods.

Having finished cutting up the vegetables for the stew, the centaur carefully moved the plate of vegetables from a wooden table to the cooking fire. Holding the plate above the pot, he slid the vegetables into the pot and the boiling water below. The pot hung between two poles set near the fire, so the pot hung slightly away from the brace of rabbits. The centaur occasionally stirred it while letting the stew and the rabbits prepare at the flame‘s leisure. His saber, the blade forged for him shortly after he’d been old enough to hold it properly, lay firmly in its scabbard slung at his side. The sky overhead was overcast, but there was at least enough sunlight for it to be a fine day.
Last edited by Talon on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Aegir -- Centaur: Adventures: A new day...

Mia
Z's Account

Re: A new day...

Post by Mia »

A few days ago, the mixed-blood elf had ended a job in Moss to protect a merchant's caravan from Raiden to Dragon Eye. It was a common route for mercenaries to be hired on, what with the lawlessness of the lands in between. Along the way, she they had bypassed the Glassy Woods, and Mia was struck with a particular yearning to see her old friend Azala, though there was no guarantee that he was even there. She hadn't seen the common elf for months, and he had a tendency to wander the island continent as well. However, while her journeys were oriented more towards career and pure adventure, Azala's interests laid more in the academic--or at least he would say.

However, he was not in the forest, and his parents had not seen him for months. It was possible he was in the Forest of No Return with Seri and their child, but Mia wasn't sure how long he could tolerate being cooped up in that time-trap. She couldn't gauge his parental instincts very well either; it was something that didn't come naturally to her either. Mia couldn't even spend time with Sera, Azala's sister, and it was fully possible that the ranger was avoiding her completely. Empty handed and still missing the common elf's company, Mia decided to head back out to Raiden, perhaps there was something useful to do out there...

The elf strode along a game-trail heading out of the forest, the large Marmo wolf that had become her traveling companion five years ago cantering along just behind her. Suddenly, Lucied's quiet padding behind her stopped, and Mia's ear perked upward for a moment, trying to hear what he was up to, before she turned back to see him sniffing the air. Curious as to what had his attention, she focused on the wolf for a moment, extending her natural elven empathy toward him and picked up an impression of his own curiosity and confusion.

"What is it?" she murmured to the wolf, who cast her a glance, then began to follow the scent. Mia, with nothing better to do, decided to see just what had confused the wolf. As she drew closer to Aegir's home, she picked up the smell of roasting meat. Who else but a human would be cooking meat in the Glassy Woods? Assuming it to be a trespassing hunter, Mia decided to draw onward to drop a word of warning about hunting so close to the domain of the elves and centaurs before an actual ranger of the Glassy Woods found him, but Mia was surprised to see a centaur tending the fire as she came close enough to peer at him through the trees.

OOC: I'll let Aegir notice her approach. She's not being too cautious about it.
Mia (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery

"Falis! I need a drink!"
The next morning...
"Falis, I need to quit drinking..."

Talon

Post by Talon »

The rustling of leaves underfoot, the bare branch swaying ever gently as someone passed registered to his ears. An uncaring or more accurately an unpracticed traveler passing through the woods, but there was something else. The heart beat and panting of a wolf, and a large one on top of it traveled with the unpracticed traveler,…a companion perhaps? The centaur’s ears focused on the sound, listening past the kindling burning beneath the pots to a spot in the tree line behind the cooking fire and at the edge of his tiny claim. Though to say the land was his would have been foolhardy, as he only borrowed the land and lived there as long as the spirits of the Glassy Woods allowed. He made blessings and left tributes, in the form of foods and water to the spirits of the woods for their generosity for allowing him to live there. Tossing a glance over at the tree line, while appearing to be focused on the meal cooking over the fire, the centaur noticed his visitor had skin a smidge darker than the majority of elves he'd seen though he'd only seen the common elves of the Glassy Woods. The half-elf had ears matching those of other elves he’d encountered with a body to match, but bore the telltale visage of warrior that had experienced much in the world if not the darker underbelly of humanity.

“You may come closer, traveler and you may bring your wolf companion with you. Standing there at the edge of my homestead will not fill the hunger in your belly or your curiosity. There is more than enough to go around. Let it not be said it would be the first time a centaur turned away a visitor. Come,…I will not bite,” Aegir said, knowing his guest could hear him. He had not had a visitor in more than a week, had it been a week already? As with most of his kind, dark elves were never that welcome and were kept as far as a spear or an arrow could land than other elves. Aegir’s banishment from the village and the tribe meant he rarely had visitors and the majority of those that did pass were from human settlements that quickly turned back, from the appearance of a centaur was something most could not grasp beyond those of the faerie races. He would allow a dark elf, a half-elf only, to approach though would more likely let his blade find its mark if it were a full dark elf. While still focusing on some of the meal’s preparations he let the top of his vision shift a little from the half-elf’s side to the large Marmo wolf.
Last edited by Talon on Tue May 04, 2010 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mia
Z's Account

Post by Mia »

OOC: She's half-dark and half-common elf, not half-human. ;)

As Mia expected, the centaur was soon aware of her presence, and he invited her into his camp. The elf strode onward, stepping into the light of the clearing. She paused next to a tree on the edge of his encampment. She was short, possibly made to seem even more petite by the waist-high canine at her side. Her skin was well-tanned, far too dark for a light elf, but not quite dark enough for a dark elf, and her pale blonde hair cut into a bob that fell to her jawline, and green eyes marked her more as a common elf than dark. She bore a few scars on her face, and her ears, which were the length of a full-blooded elf. Dressed as a warrior in leather, with a pair of daggers strapped to her hips, she leaned against the tree with a bemused smirk. The wolf remained standing, regarding Aegir with thoughtful gold eyes.

"Pardon my intrusion, but my friend here seemed rather curious about something he smelled," the elf spoke. "And I have to admit, I'm quite surprised to smell meat in a centaur's cook pot. Not that it's any of my business, but I can't deny how strange that is..."

"Falis! I need a drink!"
The next morning...

Talon

Post by Talon »

“You have a reason to be curious. If I were in the midst of a village, I wouldn’t be cooking meat…the lentil stew probably, but not the meat. I’m not part of the village, or rather the village doesn’t want me around. I learned to only take what was needed from nature’s bounty, rather than the excess of human hunters,” Aegir replied. There were other reasons such as the hunger brought on by his werewolf side, but he wouldn’t reveal that to a half-elf or any other visitor unless they were from the village. If they were from the village, they already knew about the changes in his diet and wouldn’t even remain long enough around him to have a conversation. “Your wolf seems more interested in what a centaur is doing than in the food over the fire. You seemed to be lost in the woods, or was it by some otherworldly fate that led you to my homestead? I suppose it doesn’t matter in the long run, only that you are here now,” His voice was more friendly rather than angry or suspicious. There was no need for him to be suspicious within the Glassy Woods in any event. “The other centaurs don’t bother me and I don’t bother them,…it’s quite simple. The elves don’t bother me either except they do pay me a visit once and a while. Oh, pardon my manners. I am Aegir, and no fancy titles either. It’s a human knack, to give something a fancy title,”

(OOC: My mistake. I meant that description to come out differently, but for some reason I couldn’t find a better descriptor than what’s in the previous post. Thanks for pointing that out ^_^ )

Mia
Z's Account

Post by Mia »

OOC: It is rather hard to describe without wasting words, lol.

Mia glanced down at Lucied as the centaur; certainly the food was of no interest of to him. He rarely partook of cooked meat anyway, he much prefer to hunt and kill a rabbit or small animal for himself, or at very least, accept fresh, raw meat. No, it was the centaur himself that had Lucied's curiosity. As far as Mia could determine from Lucied's thoughts, there just wasn't something right about him.

Feeling welcome enough, Mia pushed off the tree and strolled over to Aegir's cookfire, Lucied padding along at her side. "The name's Mia, no need for fancy titles here either," she spoke. Her common tongue was spoken quite colloquially, having spent so many years amongst humans. "I was simply following a game trail out of the forest when Lucied here caught your scent. He seemed to want to me to figure out what he was sniffing, so we wandered on over."

Just what could cast him out of the herd though? Surely a centaur just doesn't up and decide he wants to be a carnivore... There must be something deeper to him... Mia wondered. I just have to know what this is. I've heard nothing about this fellow from any of the locals that I know. "Would you mind some company for awhile?" she inquired, quickly trying to think of a reason to stay. "Honestly, I have nothing better to do and nowhere to be. I wouldn't mind getting to know the local pariah; after all, it's not a role too unfamiliar to me." She offered him a friendly smile, in the hopes that he would allow her to stay.

"Falis! I need a drink!"
The next morning...

Talon

Post by Talon »

“A pleasure, Mia. I would enjoy having some company. Please, make yourself comfortable. There are some bowls on the table with some glasses and eating utensils. The stew should be ready soon as should the brace of rabbits,” Aegir replied, putting some proper spices in the lentil soup yet didn‘t place anything on the rabbits. He simply let them cook as they were, but had skinned them and cleaned them. The centaur should have seasoned them properly, but aside from cooking them until they were tender there hadn‘t been anything added to them. After cleaning the table of what little mess remained, the centaur crossed into the hut and brought out a chair to set against the table. The rabbits had been skinned and cleaned elsewhere, and away from any prying eyes. A clay pitcher of water was placed on the table not long after. “Lucied,…an interesting name for a wolf. I owe my thanks to Lucied then, for the change in company,”

“Help yourself and I apologize for the lack of bread. I didn‘t have time to prepare it, and as you can imagine it‘s difficult to find grain in the forest,” he said.
Last edited by Talon on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mia
Z's Account

Re: A new day... [Open]

Post by Mia »

Mia was not a strict vegetarian. After living amongst humans for so long, she sometimes ate meat from time to time, though she couldn't stomach it as well as elven cuisine. However, on a long caravan, or during war, sometimes it was just easier to not be picky and eat the rabbit or fowl or venison her comrades had on the cookfire. Over time, her body had adapted to the occasional meat intake. So, sharing this centaur's meal probably wouldn't hurt.

The elf followed Aegir inside and took a seat in the chair he offered for her. The wolf followed at her heels, then sat on the floor next to her. Mia rested her elbows on the table and folded her hands under her chin, patiently waiting for her host to finish his cooking.

"Well, I didn't actually name him," Mia replied with a small chuckle in response to Aegir's comment about Lucied's name.

"Falis! I need a drink!"
The next morning...

Talon

Post by Talon »

The inside of the hut was spartan even by elvish standards, but it was more than adequate for the needs of a centaur. A wooden table carved with care, a few wooden chairs, some shelves furnished the hut with a small shielded fire pit in the center of the dwelling. A well-kept bed of straw sat near one of the walls, and aside from the main door there were two windows built into wood and mud frames.

“Lucied chose the name, I would assume?” Aegir asked. It was only proper for creatures of the land to choose a name for themselves rather than have someone conjure one for them, as it robbed the potential and spirit of every living thing. Grabbing a large clay bowl from a shelf near the door, the centaur retrieved the rabbits from their perch and took the time using a cooking knife to slice them into pieces easier on the palate. It wasn’t long before Aegir returned with the large bowl filled with the meat from the rabbits inside the hut. The large iron cooking pot filled with the lentil stew was set on a stone “stool” next to the table, as steam rolled off the still settling stew. Taking the clay pitcher filled with sparkling water from one of the various creeks running through the forest from the table and one of the glasses, the centaur poured the contents into the glass and handed it to Mia. “Please, help yourself,” he said before setting some meat in a smaller bowl and set that on the ground for the wolf.

Mia
Z's Account

Post by Mia »

"Oh, I wouldn't know," Mia replied. "He was the companion of a dark elf I once knew, and after his death, Lucied stayed with me," she explained. She took the glass and thanked Aegir before taking a sip, then she served up a bowl of stew for herself. As she started to eat, she paused for a moment. "I hope you don't think it too bold of me, but just how long have you been living out here on your own?"

"Falis! I need a drink!"
The next morning...

Talon

Post by Talon »

“Five winters have passed since I was forced from the herd and pitched this encampment. It is no great secret,” the centaur said, before taking a bowl for himself and placing some of the meat in it. The lentil stew would come later, but for now the rabbits would suffice. “The first few months of being outside of the herd were difficult, but I adapted quite easily enough. The elves sometimes bring food or to see how a lone centaur is doing, but I can’t complain. I don’t receive many visitors this close to the borders of the Glassy Woods, as you can imagine. Sometimes, when the weather is right and the winds are slightly playful I can hear children playing in some of the nearby human settlements. At other times, the sound of traffic passing beyond these borders. My kind doesn’t care for humans, as a rule, but I’ve always been a tad curious. I suppose it’s why the others of the herd don’t want to be around as much,” That might have been the exact truth, but centaurs as a rule didn’t bother much with the human world and remained secluded in their forests. Aegir slowly ate, finding the rabbits soon filled that hunger deep down. Ever since that werewolf had bitten him, the young centaur had been increasingly hungry especially after nights of the full moon.

Mia
Z's Account

Post by Mia »

So far, he seemed rather open. Perhaps Mia could find out just why he had been banished. The elf ate the stew slowly. She wasn't exceptionally hungry; Azala's parents had at least been nice enough to treat her to lunch before she left. "So, just why exactly were you forced to leave?" she inquired.

"Falis! I need a drink!"
The next morning...

Talon

Post by Talon »

“The village had been attacked resulting in the loss of six centaurs, but the creature had been stopped. We didn’t know why the village had been attacked or who would be able to get through the barriers of these woods. The village hadn’t been a threat to anyone, but on a night that has haunted my dreams since a beast had lunged out of the night beyond the campfires and overpowered our warriors,” Aegir explained, setting the nearly empty bowl aside. “A wolf, larger than Lucied, had found the village that night and left me as the only soul to rise from the group of seven that had engaged it. I tried to stand in hopes there had been survivors as the village burned around me, but my body was riddled with fever to where my legs refused to answer. When I came to, days later I was judged and sent out of the herd. I still bear the scars where that wolf sank its fangs, and as you were observant earlier about the rabbits it is why I can never fill a hunger within. Fruits and vegetables can no longer satisfy the hunger, even after mornings where I wake without any recollection of the prior night. If you were to stay as company, you would have found out eventually. Your wolf companion, Lucied, smelled that secret. I only ask if you wish to leave do not let it be from that,”

Mia
Z's Account

Post by Mia »

Mia listened to the centaur's tale as she slowly ate the meal he shared with her. A centaur werewolf... now that's something I never thought I'd meet. I suppose that's up on the list of a half-elf/half-dwarf. I guess a lycanthrope centaur is probably more likely, she mused to herself as Aegir finished his explaination. "Well, I assure you, knowing you're a werewolf won't scare me away," Mia answered. "You're not the first one I've met, after all... though you are the first, and probably only centaur werewolf I've ever met. I have to admit, I'm far more curious about how the transformation works than worried about you suddenly turning into a ravenous beast!" The elf chuckled at that. "Well, it certainly explains the meat eating... and why Lucied was so confused. I'm sure the scent of a wolf, horse, and elf all rolled into one must be a curious combination."

"Falis! I need a drink!"
The next morning...

Talon

Post by Talon »

“Would you believe I don’t have a clue how I look after the transformation? I haven‘t had anyone stay long enough or stayed around someone long enough for them to see the transformation,” Aegir replied and felt the rabbit settling. Grabbing the clay pitcher, the young centaur filled one of the empty glasses and drained the glass. “I don’t think the humans would be so curious if they saw me after the full moon,”

The younger centaur filled another glass and sipped it this time, before looking over at Mia and Lucied. “I would like to venture beyond these woods and see what the world has to offer, in the multitude of strange creatures and find somewhere I don’t have to be alone so much,” the centaur said. “You said you met other werewolves? Where…and who?”

Return to “Adventures in Lodoss RPG”