S02 The Slums of Shinning Hill

Mage Jereidon Thappis sets out on his quest to find his long-lost little sister.
CANCELED
Tom

Post by Tom »

The walk to the "slums" of Shining Hill, was only a short one. As they walked, the houses and other buildings could be seen slowly becoming more run down as they went. The people who lived there were stayed mostly to themselves, but the trio could see the occasional movement though a shuttered window that let them know that their passage was not going unnoticed.

"Most of these people still own their homes, they just don't have the means to care for them. Maybe they were injured and couldn't work anymore, or whatever job they did have dried up. Who knows." Brynn was just rambling. "Where we are going, is mostly just squatters. People who live in abandoned houses for shelter."

Sure enough as they walked the buildings began to seem as though they were abandoned. Sudden movement or perhaps the sound of distant footfalls let them know that they were not alone. No longer could they smell the smells of baking or the sound of children playing. Brynn seemed to pick a random structure and walked up to it. As he got to the porch, he tested each step carefully. If the wood was rotten, his heavily armored form would fall right though.

"It would probably be easiest to just yell out, FREE FOOD, but we'd probably be swarmed." He held up his care package to a hole in the door, and blew at it attempting to push the smell into the building. "Hello in there, I am a cleric bringing offerings of food. Is there anyone who would come out and talk to us to get it."

CrimsonJustice

Post by CrimsonJustice »

Seeing the slums Jereidon listened, these people lived in such poor conditions but it seemed to him they loved their homes that much. Along the way he looked around, knowing that these people had been forgotten by many and left here.

"It's a shame that they have nowhere else to go, but they manage it seems. Why has most of society been allowed to forget them and move on, in a small way they have been done an injustice."

He shared his thoughts on the matter, though once they arrived Jereidon waited for a response. If there was someone here, then they should answer unless they were sick and couldn't move.

Katela el'Baran
Z's Account

Post by Katela el'Baran »

"Money is just a problem all together," Katela said. "Elves don't have money, and don't have poverty."
Katela (Adventures in Lodoss) - Profile - Gallery

Tom

Post by Tom »

"I couldn't agree more, but I'm unusual in that aspect, for a dwarf." Brynn whispered to Katela. "If someone insists on paying me for some work that I do, I insist that they give it to the local Temple of Myrii."

The talk of money must have aroused the curiosity of someone within, because there came the sound of movement somewhere in the building. A woman's voice called out, "Whatta got there, some old rancid food. Or maybe poison to get rid of us?" Those living in this area were obviously paranoid about not being wanted in Shinning Hill.

"Its fresh and definitely not poisonous. I am a cleric of Myrii, just bringing out a care package in exchange for some information." Brynn called back into the hovel. He then turned to Jereidon and Katela. "I'm glad I met the two of you today. Normally they are so suspicious of gifts that they do not want to take it. I end up leaving it at the door, and nine times out of ten some stray dog picks it up before those living there do. This way they can think of it as payment."

Once again the female voice called out, "I'm not going to open the door, so you'll just have to ask your questions through the hole int eh door."

It was difficult to tel the age of the woman speaking. She could be young and had lived a hard life, or older. Her voice had a gravelly-ness to it.

CrimsonJustice

Post by CrimsonJustice »

Jeridon listened to them both and thought about it, he did accept payment for what he did sometimes. Though he only would accept enough to pay for his travel expenses, anything more and he would not take it.

"I sometimes help settle disputes as a neutral mediator, though I only ever accepted enough to pay for my lodgings and supplies. I do think the elves have a better system, but then not every race can be so blessed as to live with nature. Perhaps it was the will of the gods this happened, to find two trustworthy allies in one day is not a mere coincidence."

Hearing the womans reply Jereidon cleared his throat, he would ask knowing what few details he had. Of couse the information was vague, but it was worth asking about.

"I'd like to ask you if you knew anything about a little girl who may have passed through this city. She would have been between three to five years old, Auburn hair with brown eyes. I'm looking for my missing sister, she's the only family I may possibly have left. Her name is Neria Thappis, I'm her older brother."

Katela el'Baran
Z's Account

The woman was silent for a moment, then replied, "I don't know nothing about a girl. Lots of kids look like that."

Katela frowned slightly, but not at the woman's response. It seemed like a futile line of questioning, and he seemed to be mixing up his facts. "Jereidon, isn't she older than that?" Katela asked.

CrimsonJustice

Post by CrimsonJustice »

"She'd be ten about now, but I was thinking that she might have passed through here eariler. I could easily be wrong, I wanted to try to find out."

Looking back to the woman he nodded and sighed, there was nothing really unique about her. He only could imagine what she looked like today, she was probably just like their mother.

"Thank you, I appreciate you helping me out."

Tom

Post by Tom »

"We didn't mean to be a bother. I'll leave the food out here on the stoop, when we leave." Brynn looked to Jereidon and Katela. "Is there any other questions for her. If not then I suggest we move on." Brynn squatted down to place the cloth holding the food on the dirty wood planks that were right in front of the door.

Aquila

Post by Aquila »

From the opposite direction came a small girl, looking somewhere around the tender age of twenty years. She appeared to look just a tad bit under-dressed, with her simple attire of a pleated cloth skirt and a long, barely revealing top. To be walking around the slums of Shining Hill, she didn't appear to blend in entirely well. Aquila looked like a traveler, to a point, excluding the fact she carried no weapons, as it clearly seemed. All that could be seen with the girl was a rather large sack, which most could guess carried the small, important items she needed while she traveled.

It would have been wonderful if you could have trusted her being near you, but the minute she passed by one of the three travelers, her hand had been prepared to pickpocket right that minute. The blonde-headed girl hadn't put her attention on anybody particular, or the fact that she'd be able to get away. Truthfully, she needed some money and right now, living off bread and water wasn't cutting it nicely for her. The young girl didn't like to ask, as she rarely ever spoke. While breaking through the group, he eyes didn't even glance towards either one of them. Fearing she'd more than likely get caught, her pace was quickened, giving a vibe that something was wrong with this petite character.

Being classified as a thief, rushing herself wasn't a good choice of a demeaner. She was almost certain she'd given herself away and she would shortly find out, either if she got away with something that could have been valued, or just landing herself into a bad position.

Katela el'Baran
Z's Account

A girl cut through the trio, which Katela felt was quite rude. There was plenty of room in the street for her to go around! The half-elf spun around and shouted, "Excuse me!" after the girl who was quickly walking away, unaware as to the fact the girl had just pick-pocketed her.

Tom

Post by Tom »

"Best to check out belongings." Brynn said patting himself down. "Remember what I said about the innocents fo the slums not being so innocient."

If they had been walking down a crowded street and the girl had bumped them, he wouldn't have thought anything of it. but the streets were empty. The young girl had gone out of her way to walk into them. The only things of real value Brynn carried were his holy symbol, and the cloths that he used to wrap up food. Luckily the holy symbol was still where he wore it, and if the girl wanted the cloths she could have them. Nope they were also in their spot.

Katela el'Baran
Z's Account

Katela realized her purse was on her belt and reached for it, only to find out it was open and most of her coins were missing. While she would be willing to donate to the poor, she herself wasn't exactly rich. The money was a gift from her step-mother for her travels, and she had no job to earn back what she spent--or lost. Katela turned and ran after the thief. "HEY! Come back here!" she shouted.

Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Only focusing on making it far away from the group, she ignored the first yell coming from the red-headed female. Instead, she kept her pace quickened, her eyes staying straight ahead of her, not changing her destination. She didn't feel bad for taking the coins from the lady's purse. Aquila was merely starving and if you didn't have any money, then you wouldn't exactly find yourself with food, not unless you did something else to gain it. Sure, she had very little money, but it wasn't enough to buy her a single scrap of food, truthfully.

It wasn't until she heard the voice of the red-headed girl once more, but it seemed to be coming closer to her. Looking back at her, she looked rather surprised and started to run once more. However, by that time she was too focused on getting away that she actually tripped over her own feet. Very smooth coming from somebody who lived off stealing other people's things. She'd been slowed down from the fall, but seeing how close the now obvious half-elf had been, Aquila knew that she wouldn't have been able to get away at this point. Still, she hurried herself onto her feet, but it hadn't been quick enough.

Now the young blonde-headed human faced the red-head. While she'd been running, she hadn't managed hiding the money, it was still in her hands, though some of it had been tossed around on the ground. Knowing she'd been caught, she looked back at the two men who'd been a good ways down, then back to the other female, "Sorry." she quietly apologized, just barely audible enough to be heard from a very close range.

CrimsonJustice

Post by CrimsonJustice »

What came next happened rather quickly for Jereidon, and before he knew it he was checking his belongings as well. With everything in place he looked to Katela's direction who had already given chase, maybe they should regroup and get out of here as soon as possible.

"All of my stuff is safe, we should catch up to her and then finish up any business here quickly. I don't think I'll find anything here, it was worth a try."

He then went to catch up to Katela, keeping a pace so that Brynn would not be left behind.

Katela el'Baran
Z's Account

Aquila wrote:Now the young blonde-headed human faced the red-head. While she'd been running, she hadn't managed hiding the money, it was still in her hands, though some of it had been tossed around on the ground. Knowing she'd been caught, she looked back at the two men who'd been a good ways down, then back to the other female, "Sorry." she quietly apologized, just barely audible enough to be heard from a very close range.

Katela was ready to give the thief a piece of her mind, but when the girl failed in her escape and apologized, she couldn't bring herself to stay angry. She couldn't just give up her money though, she needed it too much. Maybe they could help her though... "Alright now, you're caught, hand it over," Katela demanded, holding her hand out.

At the sound of coins hitting the ground, several people had darted out of alleys and doorways to snatch up what was dropped. Katela couldn't pursue each and every one, so she would only deal with the majority of her loss.

"If you give it back, maybe we can work out something to help you," she added in a more sympathetic tone.

Return to “RPG: Quest for Neria”