And Away in Style

Mage Bastion Ulbrecht unleashed a demon upon Lodoss and now he must hunt it down and send it back to where it belongs.
CLOSED
Alera Tai'var

Re: The Warehouse District

Post by Alera Tai'var »

Broun let go of his newly found companions' hands just in time to reach the carriage and clamber in. The others swiftly followed suit and Broun slammed the door, then knocked on the front wall. The carriage lurched forward and was off.

Inside, it was dark. The windows were covered. Despite a lack of scenery, the interior was cool and comfortable. The cushions were plush and the air had a dry, comfortable feel to it that the outdoors did not. The "mysterious mage" certainly did come prepared and, apparently, travelled in style.

Broun heaved air, let his body calm. But, as he did, he began to fall apart. Speck by speck, his body fell away like dust. Each tiny piece sparkled a glowing gold, a shimmer of light painfully obvious to the darkness. At first, it was barely noticeable, but after only a half of a minute, Broun was but a memory, gone in a cloud of glittering sand, dissipating in the air. It had no scent, no physical nature. It was raw magic of light and image, burning out.

The man who sat in Broun's place was nothing like him. He was a piece of art. Clothing of velvet, perfectly groomed, not a cuff eschew. The mage before them was more a caricature of a nobleman than anything real. He was handsome in the manner of a well-done actor-- a replica produced just carefully so that the makeup was not obvious. A fine cane sat in his lap, the crystal at its head losing the last of an unearthly glow.

"And so the fearless heroes of this tale flee for their lives empty handed. But at least they travel in style." The voice finally matched the face. Each held the sardonic, playful tone to it, combined with a theatrical wit that made one question whether or not he was capable of being serious or truthful. With a flick of his wrist, a bit of fire lit, followed by a few more, each the length and luminescence of a burning wick. "I do so prefer candle light, don't you?"
I'm OCD for EKD!

Carianna Mareleth (Cian's Quest) - Profile - Gallery
Grennith (New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Itoya* (New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Jeren Octavian Aldener (Search for Nat) - Profile - Gallery
Jleslie "Rose" Seif (A New Balance) - Profile - Gallery
Orion* (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Rone Kalmaine (Vampire Hunt) - Profile - Gallery
Desmond "Rory" D'Angelline (Adventures in Lodoss) - Profile - Gallery
Terelyn "Crimson Corsair" Tai'var (Building an Empire at Sea) - Profile - Gallery
Veriss Trelem (Liberation of Ales) - Profile - Gallery
Yrsanne* (Hunt for Kiran) - Profile - Gallery
Zylanthian Baratoice (Lost Humanity) - Profile - Gallery

Granite Stoneheart
Z's Account

Re: The Warehouse District

Post by Granite Stoneheart »

Alera Tai'var wrote:Broun let go of his newly found companions' hands just in time to reach the carriage and clamber in. The others swiftly followed suit and Broun slammed the door, then knocked on the front wall. The carriage lurched forward and was off.

Inside, it was dark. The windows were covered. Despite a lack of scenery, the interior was cool and comfortable. The cushions were plush and the air had a dry, comfortable feel to it that the outdoors did not. The "mysterious mage" certainly did come prepared and, apparently, travelled in style.

Broun heaved air, let his body calm. But, as he did, he began to fall apart. Speck by speck, his body fell away like dust. Each tiny piece sparkled a glowing gold, a shimmer of light painfully obvious to the darkness. At first, it was barely noticeable, but after only a half of a minute, Broun was but a memory, gone in a cloud of glittering sand, dissipating in the air. It had no scent, no physical nature. It was raw magic of light and image, burning out.

The man who sat in Broun's place was nothing like him. He was a piece of art. Clothing of velvet, perfectly groomed, not a cuff eschew. The mage before them was more a caricature of a nobleman than anything real. He was handsome in the manner of a well-done actor-- a replica produced just carefully so that the makeup was not obvious. A fine cane sat in his lap, the crystal at its head losing the last of an unearthly glow.

"And so the fearless heroes of this tale flee for their lives empty handed. But at least they travel in style." The voice finally matched the face. Each held the sardonic, playful tone to it, combined with a theatrical wit that made one question whether or not he was capable of being serious or truthful. With a flick of his wrist, a bit of fire lit, followed by a few more, each the length and luminescence of a burning wick. "I do so prefer candle light, don't you?"

Granite stared, dumbfounded, at the extravagantly beautiful fellow who now sat before her in place of the thug. The dwarf had little understanding of magic, and generally cared to have little to do with it, as was a common mindset for her people, but she was undoubtedly fascinated by the depth of the illusion. "Wh... who are you?" she asked, gathering her wits after a long moment of speechlessness.
Granite Stoneheart (Bastion's Demons) - Profile - Gallery

Alera Tai'var

And Away in Style

Post by Alera Tai'var »

Their host and savior smiled. "Of course, how low my manners become when playing the part of the ruffian," the mage said. "My name is Desmond D'angelline, actor extraordinaire. You may have heard of me." In Alania, Desmond was fairly well known as a comedic magician and actor. But his novelty did not wear off. He was a strange case of a man who bought his way into a higher status, which made him somewhat loathed by all. He purchased a theater and lived well for it, as well as buying his way into the higher echelons of the Sage's and Mage's guilds. He was the type of man no one talked about kindly, but none dared say it to his face.

"And now it is my turn. What were the two of you doing charging in so unprepared in the face of poorly dressed villainy?"
I'm OCD for EKD!

Terelyn "Crimson Corsair" Tai'var (Building an Empire at Sea) - Profile - Gallery

Bundesphar

Re: And Away in Style

Post by Bundesphar »

Bastion studied the other mage guardedly. The name rang a bell from talks with his teacher, who seemed to have a low opinion of the man. "It was all my fault, I'm afraid." he said presently. "I'd heard that Rayston delt in antiques, and had hoped to perchase something from him. My source never said he kidnaps his customers. Lady Stoneheart here bravely attempted to save me from my folly, and so became caught up in the exchange." Bastion nodded to Granite. "I must thank you, Milady. You were very brave to try to help, and very wise to suspect I might need the help. I owe you a great deal."
"Truth, writ in Blood"-motto of the Band of Iron

Bastion Ulbrecht (Bastion's Demons) - Profile - Gallery
Gaidrich Kaitar (Kidnapped Princess/New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

Desmond's eyebrows perked, but his smile, as much a lie as genuine, remained perfectly the same. "Then it seems we were entering into similar interests, friend. Might I ask exactly what it was you were seeking to acquire from Mr Rayston?"
I'm OCD for EKD!

Bundesphar

Post by Bundesphar »

"I wasn't sure myself when I went in." Bastion replied. "I have a fair deal of money and more curiousity then sense. A book, a scroll, a wand..." he shrugged. "Even a shard of stone or clay with some runic writing on it would have been worth something to me. I was hoping to get lucky. I think you all know what really happened."

Bastion sighed, shook his head at himself, then gave their rescuer a quizzicle look. "And what's your story, friend? You seemed quite on top of the entire situation. Had you been observing the proceedings, or are you simply a master of improv?"

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

Desmond laughed, overly pleased with the young mage's sense. "Both and neither, my dear friend. I was commissioned to take stock of Mr. Rayston's wares and collect any possible items improperly borrowed from the mage's guild. When the goal is to keep the mage's guild's interests invisible to invested eyes, I am often requested after." The illusionist twirled the magical smoke around his finger, making ever more complex knots out of it before letting it puff away. "When I discovered that part of his holding was about to be more recent additions to history than runic writings and books, like two possible customers, it became my duty to relieve him of those assets, no matter the city or jurisdiction. I had already assumed the post of Mr. Broun, but I assure you that everything after I laid eyes upon you two was purely off the cuff. Audience participation was often why people returned to my shows, you see."

The carriage hit a bump, but it was barely noticeable. "I suppose the two of us both lost out of our original goals, in the end. I didn't get to take full tally of his warehouse and you did not get to purchase your... item of import. And since we've already proven ourselves to be a capable grouping, perhaps we may be able to assist each other. But if you want my aid, then you must not try and trick the trickster. If your goal is truly simple curiosity, wouldn't a visit to your local guild hall sate it? Why throw yourself to the vipers for something your own guild or another elsewhere might have? Are you really a simple treasure hunter, caught too deep for his own good? Or is there something more specific you seek?"
I'm OCD for EKD!

Bundesphar

Post by Bundesphar »

"Well..." Telling the truth was out of the question, but Bastion suspected a man so skilled at deception would quickly spot a outright lie. So, he compromised. "My contact told me that Rayston had acquired something new. Something freshly dug out of a ruin in the desert. While they couldn't translate the writing, the mark of the Art was on it." He shrugged, a bitter expression on his face. "How could I pass up the chance of acquiring a unknown artifact of Kastuul? Even if I couldn't decipher it myself, the prestige I'd gain for its discovery and rescue would be worth it." he shook his head, apparantly displeased with himself. "Hubris, brought on by youth and wealth. I've suffered from it before, but this is the first time it's nearly gotten me killed."

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

"Mmm... Then perhaps this time you will have learned a lesson for yourself." Rory was by no means satisfied by the reply. Of course there was something missing. Prestige was something idiots hunted for and this boy was far from it. Unfortunately, the illusionist couldn't catch any sign of where the half-truth, the missing pieces might have been. For now, he would have to accept the response.

A small bell rang above the head of Granite, a gentle ring. "We are nearing our destination. I am staying with a friend of good means here in Raiden. He will have space for you should you desire it. For a bit, at least, I insist that you join me inside. Those paragons of justice may delay Rayston's pursuit, but it is better that you remain unseen by the general public for the day. You would be so kind as to join me for a spot of tea and possibly a meal, wouldn't you?"
I'm OCD for EKD!

Granite Stoneheart
Z's Account

Granite, who had sat by through the conversation patiently, feeling at a loss for words in a subject she knew so little about, gave a start at the bell. "Err, sure," she responded to Rory, her husky dwarven voice and uncultured tongue sounding out of place in response to the colorful and educated way of speaking the illusionist had. The entire situation had her feeling awkward and out of place now that she found herself between two mages.

"I would uh... definitely hope that we can retrieve my mace from that warehouse," she chimed in, feeling as if her request probably sounded trivial to the humans whose interest laid more with the arcane artifacts. She was a dwarf though, and that weapon, forged by her own father with loving care, carved, gilded, and polished with such passion and artistry, was of far greater importance, utterly irreplaceable. Sure, she could easily have another forged by her father, but the weapon was the one she had trained with for years, it had a personality and character of it's own, every flaw, the exact placement of weight, was familiar and another weapon, even made to the same specifications, could never be the same to a dwarf.

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

"That would be most unwise," replied Rory. "Rayston will be on high alert now that he's seen that his defenses are not enough to stop the occasional violation of peace and property. What is the importance of this mace, such that it could not be replaced with a significant enough fund?"
I'm OCD for EKD!

Bundesphar

Post by Bundesphar »

"That doesn't matter" Bastion spoke up. He'd almost forgotten Granite during his talk with the other mage, but now all the trouble he'd caused her came back afresh. "What matters is that it's important to her. Don't worry Milady Stoneheart, it shouldn't be too difficult to retrieve it. We'll report to the guards..." he paused, then struck himself lightly on the head. "I keep forgetting where we are. How do people survive in this crazy city?"

Alera Tai'var

Post by Alera Tai'var »

"Perhaps by joining the ranks of the insane," Rory offered. "Besides, Rayston has had too much attention for his own comfort, I'll bet. The warehouse is no longer safe. If he has the manpower, it will fill it to the brim. If not, he has to distance himself from it. Unfortunately for the both of you, the only true advantage you have on Rayston is the complete lack of information pertaining to my identity. So if that mace is worth risking your health over, then I recommend careful consideration of our options."

The carriage slowed to a stop and the bell rang again. "Ahh, here we are. This home belongs to a very good friend of mine by the name of Araman. He is a wealthy historian of sorts, but very private. I would encourage both of you to maintain the strictest of confidences about him and what his house holds. To those very few who know of his work, he is a jewel hidden in the rough." The mage adjusted his clothing, preening like a bird. "Oh," he started, looking back up, "and if something should make you concerned, remember that the most loyal of friends are often the hardest to identify at first glance."

The candle lights fizzed away as Desmond opened the carriage door and stepped out onto the walkway. It was the end of a not-often traveled road deep in Raiden. The house that stood waiting was the residence that a lower noble might take up. It was not big enough to be an estate, but certainly not small enough to be a mere house. It had a gate, but the way around the house showed little evidence of wheels, shoes, or hooves. The building itself was a dark beige, worn down with time, but holding a charm in its own age. The windows all had metal grates across them and the curtains were all drawn closed. The yard looked rough, as if no resident ever bothered to see it and have something done. Trees gnarled with age, vines crawling up the walls at their own whim, and a flower bed overgrown with weeds presided over the premises. In essence, nature was allowed its way with the place. Death seemed as welcome as life was.

"Shall we?"
I'm OCD for EKD!

Granite Stoneheart
Z's Account

Granite bit back her frustration at the casual talk of her mace, but she would certainly be thinking of a plan to get it back. In the meantime, she begrudgingly followed along with Desmond and Bastion.

Bundesphar

Post by Bundesphar »

Bastions' thoughts still focused on the botched deal and his concern over this other mages' suspicions of him, but his spirits lifted as he saw the house. He'd always loved eccentric places and people, and this seemed the home of one who'd fit the discription well. Throwing Granite a encouraging look, he followed Desmond up the path.

Return to “RPG: Bastion's Demons”