Role-Playing Suggestions (Archive Repost - MSN)

RPG related discussion for Adventures in Lodoss. Please use this board to discuss current threads, seek RP partners, and ask questions about Adventures in Lodoss. For discussion not related to the Adventures, please post on the community boards.
Forum rules
This forum is to help you arrange your RP thread and find players to join you. If you want to start an RP, post an open request here for other players, and once you have a group together, go ahead and use the thread as your OOC discussion thread for the RP in case you need to discuss direction and ideas.
Z
Site Admin

Role-Playing Suggestions (Archive Repost - MSN)

Post by Z »

Z wrote:This is an old thread from the MSN group, circa 2004, but I thought it was worth transferring.
I came up with a idea for the rules, the addition of some suggestions for better role-playing. They aren't rules, but things we'd like to see. I know there are plenty of things to add, but I can't think of them all on my own.

I forgot one I was thinking up earlier, but I do have another that's been bugging me for awhile.
Love at First Sight
I've seen this happen in a lot of RPs. In fact, I would say Gale is quite guilty of it. A character sets out in the world, and they meet a member of the opposite sex--sometimes it's the first one they meet, or just an especially attractive one-- and they fall head over heels for them. Honestly, it's rather annoying. Sure, it's one thing if you meet an attractive woman or man and your character starts lusting after them, or becomes infatuated, but it's another thing when you're out looking for a partner for your character. If you want your character in a relationship, don't make them fall in love with the first hot piece of ass that walks their way, but give them a chance to develop the relationship. I am so sick of hearing a character think, "What is this strange new feeling I have?" shortly after meeting a potential lover. And you know, relationships can really restrict a character when they have their partner tagging along on their heels (just look at Mia and Fou). So give your character some time to grow and enjoy the single life!

Any other suggestions?
Also: Adriel, Aiden Silvermoon II, Ailil, Anisa Amri, Barbarian Barbie, Bella, Centauress Cissiria, Ciprian Tremas, High Elf Seri, Granite Stoneheart, Katela el'Baran, Kiran, Kitsa Stormeyes, Lady Kavryn, Meridian, Mia, Midwife Lien, Mudan Jasil, Myrela, Naclia, Natasi, Olula, Permanent Tears, Pirate Kreoss, Priestess Elohssa, Priestess Jenesis, Priestess Lianora, Priestess N'shara, Priestess Sairina, Priestess Sura, Priestess Thalia, Princess Elianna, Sevrina, Silvia, Vampiress Ileta, Vanaia, Werewolf Xanin, Y'ezela, Zaole, and Zira.

Yes, I am crazy.

Wolf

Re: Role-Playing Suggestions (Archive Repost - MSN)

Post by Wolf »

That's a pretty popular cliche.

Another one I noticed among novice players is that sometimes they don't seem to seperate what their characters know and what they know.

For example, in our current fight, let's say you know what characters are weak against because you read the profile, but a lot of the time your character wouldn't be able to figure it out easily. If I had a Yoroi always "happen" to hit a character in their bad knee, or a joint, or their one weak spot.
Ashe Wolfarius (A New Balance) - Profile - Gallery
Jinn Rishnah (A New Balance) - Profile - Gallery

Z
Site Admin

Post by Z »

Oh yeah, using OOC knowledge. Though I thought we decided Cray would have told them weak points on the yoroi ~_^

Anyway, that reminded me of another one.
Reading Minds
Some people will read another character's thoughts in a post, then reply and try to improve their characters image to what the other would like to see, even if it might go against their characters personality. You character isn't a telepath! Ignore what the other character thinks and only focus on thoughts and actions. I saw this in the Megan/Ryan RP in Modern Life a lot. Megan would think something, then Ryan would respond to that, either directly, thinking it was her actual dialog, or trying to make his character look better to her in response to those thoughts. It pissed off Megan's player so much, he stopped writting Megan's thoughts completely so Ryan wouldn't read them.
Also: Adriel, Aiden Silvermoon II, Ailil, Anisa Amri, Barbarian Barbie, Bella, Centauress Cissiria, Ciprian Tremas, High Elf Seri, Granite Stoneheart, Katela el'Baran, Kiran, Kitsa Stormeyes, Lady Kavryn, Meridian, Mia, Midwife Lien, Mudan Jasil, Myrela, Naclia, Natasi, Olula, Permanent Tears, Pirate Kreoss, Priestess Elohssa, Priestess Jenesis, Priestess Lianora, Priestess N'shara, Priestess Sairina, Priestess Sura, Priestess Thalia, Princess Elianna, Sevrina, Silvia, Vampiress Ileta, Vanaia, Werewolf Xanin, Y'ezela, Zaole, and Zira.

Yes, I am crazy.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Oh no, Cray did tell them so that's not a problem. I was just making up an example.

Another would be modern knowledge. Like "accidently" dropping ingidients ont eh floor and "inventing" gun powder.
Ashe Wolfarius (A New Balance) - Profile - Gallery
Jinn Rishnah (A New Balance) - Profile - Gallery

Luria

Post by Luria »

Yeah definately too many people go head first into a romantic-type thing. I think that's a #1 problem. But another thing people do is give up completely if so and so's character doesn't instantly fall in love with them once they suggest they kinda like them. You have to remember that you're writing a story, not hooking up for some kinda softcore fantasy :P There's nothing wrong with being persistant, it's fun. Just as long as its not creepy psyco persistant. You should also try to forge friendships with other players too, not just love affairs.

Another RPG problem is god-modding, that just means being cheap in general. Most characters, until they've become a stable part of the story at least, should try and keep their power level around the same as everybody else's and not try to single-handedly save the day.

One thing that makes me frustrated is when other characters ignore me. It feels like most of the time, nobody responds to anything I say or do with my characters, that I am just kind of talking to myself. So, my tip would be try talking to other characters often, and when a character talks to you, give them some kind of answer.
Luda Rhan (A New Balance/Search for the Stormlord) - Profile - Gallery
Luria (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Toan* (A New Balance) - Profile - Gallery

Z
Site Admin

Post by Z »

I know a lot of people are getting annoyed with being ignored in the Raiden threads, but there are just so many characters there it's rather overwhelming. I ended up using NPCs to interact with some of the newer, independent characters like Elza for Orion and Adali for Edwin. I know myself and a lot of other people can't wait to get out of Raiden so we can do some smaller, more personal threads and spread out our characters.

As for romance, once two characters do get in a relationship, they think it's smooth sailing from there. Relationships aren't easy (believe me, I'm feeling it right now) so I think it's good to incorporate some of the negative aspects and spice things up instead of just having your characters together and happy in love all the time. I've done that with Mia and Fou, and Seri and Azala. Relationships are complicated and it makes for much better gameplay when you incoporate that.

Yes, I am crazy.

Luria

Post by Luria »

Yeah O.o the Raiden thread is biiiig. I didn't mean it to sound like its in particular on this RPG. It's a tip I give whenever I start up an RPG, try to interact a lot and make friendships.

I agree with that too. I think I like Seri and Azala the best of all the couples XD Oh yeah, how about while on the subject of romance, how about when people throw in completely unneccesary sex scenes? I have no problem with sex in a story, but sometimes I have seen it just get rediculous. Once again, not this RPG in particular. I'm talking about RPGs in general. Some of them are like a bad exscuse for an erotic fantasy hotline O.o Lol... maybe I'm just being prudish but there's plenty of RPGs for people who just want sex you know?

Luria

Post by Luria »

Oh yeah... Another RPG thing is timeline. On this RPG you have a good way of putting the day and time in every thread, but sometiems players will think months have gone by when it's actually just a few days. People don't understand that it takes a month or several months sometimes just to play for one day.

Z
Site Admin

Post by Z »

Seri and Azala are nice and complicated ^_~

If you're going to do "unneccessary sex scenes" yeah, there are RPGs for that. Sex will happen of course, but in my RPGs I keep it behind closed doors for the sake of younger readers. Plus, it would still be a lot of unneccessary sex if it was all written out. It's much classier to leave it off at a suggestive point with someone being swept off their feet, or lovingly laid down, or with a passionate kiss, then just fade out and let your imagination work from there.

I try to keep a sense of time the best I can. With so many characters in one place, time goes by MUCH slower in posting,but once it's all archived, it really hasn't been so long.

Another thing is taking intiative, some times people need to take a little, sometimes they take too much. I like to keep a firm hand on the reins when it comes to time and the plot, but sometimes people want to jump ahead for their own character's sake, disreguarding all others. Other people just tend to tag along and wait for someone to interact with them. Like you were saying Jamie, people need to interact if they want their character to get noticed. It's my job to help out new players, but I don't want to have to control a bunch of NPCs to bring loners out of their shells.

Yes, I am crazy.

Luria

Post by Luria »

Not taking enough initiative might be something I'm guilty of. ^^; I don't really like to jump into something big unless someone has talked to me about it beforehand. I worry a lot about messing up what other people are doing, or overstepping my boundaries. I think that you already do so much by having at least one character in every grouping.

Oh yeah! A friend of mine wrote a nice guide to these kind of RPGs :
http://www.emeraldwinter.com/remy/newpages.html
He must have been bored lol

Little Knight

Post by Little Knight »

lol, I swear, a discussion about RP suggestions go into the sex talks. Its a matter of common sense. Jess was nice enough to establish a list for us pervs, so if you want the sex, ya can always go there.

As for iniative, i've seen it a lot with new characters. I guess because we have established friendships and relationships between characters it becomes harder. I know the feeling, i'm in an rpg right now where its like pulling teeth to try to get your character acknowledged. I try to interact with new people, but sometimes thats like pulling teeth to. Ah well, even when you have a set plot, you have to realizes in the end its not going to be exactly what you want it to be, thats just unrealistic and stupid. Plots should be flexable to meet the possibility of new characters and thier actions.

Now that my rant is down, I guess suggestions eh? Well, the lust at first sight is a dime a dozen action, it must stop :P. The mind reading must also stop (This one miffs me a LOT). And yes, time is a major thing. I swear, the funniest thing i've seen was a male character asking a female character to marry him after one night. In RL time, it had been about a year, but in game time it wasn't even dawn and hes proposing. I cracked up at that one. The biggest concern I have is characters getting ability after ability, after ability within a very short time. I think characters should gain new skills, but over time. One cannot become a blade master or a master mage over night, after all. This includes gaining a super, uber, mega weapon after maybe a week game time. "Ah ha! I gained the uber spear of ultimate butt whoop! Fear me!"

I see a character do this, and i'm having Azala walking over, and giving that character a wedgie. YES, a WEDGIE... don't think I won't do it, he through Fenix into the girls baths after all :P
"Money! Babes! Alcohol!! GWAHAHA!"

Albedo Oaks (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Azala (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Epros Telason (Cian's Quest) - Profile - Gallery
Fenix Greywords (Vampire Hunt) - Profile - Gallery
Niklas Melphist (Search for the Stormlord/Liberation of Ales) - Profile - Gallery
Silemria Til'Elsa Gradus (Kidnapped Princess/New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery

Z
Site Admin

Post by Z »

The plot is rather rigid right now, at least if you're in Raiden, but once all the characters spread out, things will be much more flexible, though the next battle is going to go straight back to rigid if we need all the characters there.

But well, I've been proposed to less than an hour after hooking up with someone and after thirty minutes after meeting someone online :P

Yes, I am crazy.

Little Knight

Post by Little Knight »

LOL, Jess, the middle easterners don't count :P

Anyway, sorry if i've not been talkative on the list. I've been neglecting Nev a bit. I really need to learn web site code so I don't have to rely on poor Jess to create it. *whistles innocently*

Anyway, i'll be posting very little over the next few days, so don't get mad please ^_^
"Money! Babes! Alcohol!! GWAHAHA!"

Albedo Oaks (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Azala (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Epros Telason (Cian's Quest) - Profile - Gallery
Fenix Greywords (Vampire Hunt) - Profile - Gallery
Niklas Melphist (Search for the Stormlord/Liberation of Ales) - Profile - Gallery
Silemria Til'Elsa Gradus (Kidnapped Princess/New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery

Z
Site Admin

Post by Z »

ok, ok, I wont count the Pakistanis. But I did tell you about the boyfriend I had who asked me to marry him shortly after I asked him out. :P

Don't worry about not posting, that means less I need to be involved in. I'm not feeling very creative right now for writing or drawing. I have been working on the Neverleska site because it doesn't require much thought, basically just copy and paste.

Yes, I am crazy.

EdwinStarym

Post by EdwinStarym »

I believe like it has already been said, correct me if I am wrong, that once the battle breaks up and everyone spilts back up it will be easier for some of the newer and independent characters to interact easier and not be overwhelmed by what is going on. With a big thing that is going on, like what is going on in Raiden, it is easy for people to just pay attention to what is going on right in front of their characters and forget there might be people that try to interact with their characters.

Intiative is something people need to learn to be flexable about since it depends on what is going on for the characters. Character that joins into a battle that is about to begin might not personally want to take intiative to get to know people since he doesn't know who will live or who will die but knows to work together must get to know the other warriors. Now there are other types of Intiative that can be taken but if it is a new character then he is limited until he or she can get known by the other character since it never looks good to jump in talking about everything like you know everything in the world.

Well that is my opinion.
Edwin Starym (Kidnapped Princess/New Marmo Republic) - Profile - Gallery
Varun (Building an Empire at Sea) - Profile - Gallery

Return to “Out-of-Character Discussion”